2nd annual weekend in memory of International Brigades Hero
The 2nd annual George Brown memorial weekend will take place at Inistioge, Co. Kilkenny on Friday 25th and Saturday 26th June 2009.
The weekend will commence with a wreath laying ceremony at the George Brown memorial plaque which was unveiled at last year's event by Jack Jones and Bob Doyle both of whom served in the International Brigades in Spain with George Brown and both of whom have unfortunately passed away in the last few months. Wreath laying takes place at 7.30pm Friday at the George Brown plaque in Inistioge.
Also on Friday, at 8pm in St. Mary's Church, Inistioge Joe Doyle, PRO of the George Brown memorial committee will officially open proceedings to be followed by
* Tribute by Manus O'Riordan, committee member International Brigates Memorial Trust (IBMT) and Head of Research SIPTU, to Jack Jones, former President of the IBMT and General Secretary of the Transport & General Workers Union (T&GWU) from 1969 to 1978.
* Lecture on Spanish Civil War by Prof. Paul Preston, Reader in and Professor of History at Queen Mary College, University of London
*DVD of George Brown to be shown in church entrance and will be on sale outside of church.
10.00pm - O'Donnell's Lounge, Inistioge - Music, tea and sandwiches.
SATURDAY 27th June
11.00am - St. Mary's Church, Inistioge
*Tribute by Harry Owens, historian and lecturer to the late Bob Doyle, longest surviving member of the Connolly Column.
* Introduction of the Cuban Ambassador to Ireland by Sean Walsh, Secretary George Brown Memorial Committee.
* Lecture by His Excellency Noel Carrillo, Cuban Ambassador to Ireland on the 50th Anniversary of the Cuban Revolution.
* Presentation to Prof. Paul Preston by renowned former Kilkenny hurler Eddie Keher.
* Presentation to Cuban Ambassador by Eddie Keher
1pm - PROCEED to Woodstock Gardens Olive Grove for Tea and Music performed by The Hatchery Folk
2.00pm - Tree Planting ceremony to mark visit of Cuban Ambassador
4.00pm - Return to Inistioge for Refreshments at Linahan's pub. Performance by Graiguenamanagh Brass Band.