Upcoming Events

National | Environment

no events match your query!

Blog Feeds

Public Inquiry
Interested in maladministration. Estd. 2005

offsite link RTEs Sarah McInerney ? Fianna Fail?supporter? Anthony

offsite link Joe Duffy is dishonest and untrustworthy Anthony

offsite link Robert Watt complaint: Time for decision by SIPO Anthony

offsite link RTE in breach of its own editorial principles Anthony

offsite link Waiting for SIPO Anthony

Public Inquiry >>

Human Rights in Ireland
Indymedia Ireland is a volunteer-run non-commercial open publishing website for local and international news, opinion & analysis, press releases and events. Its main objective is to enable the public to participate in reporting and analysis of the news and other important events and aspects of our daily lives and thereby give a voice to people.

offsite link Trump hosts former head of Syrian Al-Qaeda Al-Jolani to the White House Tue Nov 11, 2025 22:01 | imc

offsite link Rip The Chicken Tree - 1800s - 2025 Tue Nov 04, 2025 03:40 | Mark

offsite link Study of 1.7 Million Children: Heart Damage Only Found in Covid-Vaxxed Kids Sat Nov 01, 2025 00:44 | imc

offsite link The Golden Haro Fri Oct 31, 2025 12:39 | Paul Ryan

offsite link Top Scientists Confirm Covid Shots Cause Heart Attacks in Children Sun Oct 05, 2025 21:31 | imc

Human Rights in Ireland >>

Lockdown Skeptics

The Daily Sceptic

offsite link The Zika Scare That Turned Out to Be a False Positive Debacle ? and the ?Congenital Zika Syndrome? B... Sat Nov 29, 2025 13:00 | Dr Randall Bock
The 2015 Zika scare turned out to be a false positive debacle, says Dr Randall Bock. But that hasn't stopped the Lancet to this day pushing the lie of a 'Congenital Zika Syndrome' to replace it.
The post The Zika Scare That Turned Out to Be a False Positive Debacle ? and the ‘Congenital Zika Syndrome’ Backup Lie That’s Replaced It appeared first on The Daily Sceptic.

offsite link Why Are Our Schools Such Violent Cesspits? Sat Nov 29, 2025 11:00 | Joe Baron
There were 150 stabbings in schools last year, while four teachers suffered an amputation. There's a reason why our schools are such violent cesspits, says Joe Baron: because perpetrators are always treated as victims.
The post Why Are Our Schools Such Violent Cesspits? appeared first on The Daily Sceptic.

offsite link How Long Until White British Demand a System of Native Protection to Avert Violent Conflict? Sat Nov 29, 2025 09:00 | Michael Rainsborough
As white British look with increasing anxiety to a future as a minority in their own homeland, Professor Michael Rainsborough asks if Malaysia's system of native protection offers a model to avert violent conflict.
The post How Long Until White British Demand a System of Native Protection to Avert Violent Conflict? appeared first on The Daily Sceptic.

offsite link Two-Tier Taxes Sat Nov 29, 2025 07:00 | Steven Tucker
As the UK descends deeper into 'anarcho-tyranny' ? punishing the law-abiding while habitual lawbreakers get away with it ? Steven Tucker decries the latest wheeze to make life hell for obedient taxpayers.
The post Two-Tier Taxes appeared first on The Daily Sceptic.

offsite link News Round-Up Sat Nov 29, 2025 00:36 | Will Jones
A summary of the most interesting stories in the past 24 hours that challenge the prevailing orthodoxy about the ?climate emergency?, public health ?crises? and the supposed moral defects of Western civilisation.
The post News Round-Up appeared first on The Daily Sceptic.

Lockdown Skeptics >>

Voltaire Network
Voltaire, international edition

offsite link Will intergovernmental institutions withstand the end of the "American Empire"?,... Sat Apr 05, 2025 07:15 | en

offsite link Voltaire, International Newsletter N?127 Sat Apr 05, 2025 06:38 | en

offsite link Disintegration of Western democracy begins in France Sat Apr 05, 2025 06:00 | en

offsite link Voltaire, International Newsletter N?126 Fri Mar 28, 2025 11:39 | en

offsite link The International Conference on Combating Anti-Semitism by Amichai Chikli and Na... Fri Mar 28, 2025 11:31 | en

Voltaire Network >>

€108m Bord na Mona rehabilitation questioned in East Galway bog video

category national | environment | press release author Monday June 06, 2022 23:25author by foie - Friends of the Irish Environment Report this post to the editors

Press Release - Friends of the Irish Environment - 3rd June 2022

Video urges Bord na Mona to ‘do better’ on bog restoration
€108m Bord na Mona rehabilitation questioned in East Galway bog video

A video of a bog restored last year by Bord na Móna in East Galway published by the environmental defenders Friends of the Irish Environment [FIE] urges Bord na Móna to ‘Do Better’ in its bog restoration program.

Bord na Móna was given €108m in November 2020 for 'Restoring Raised Bogs for a Greener Future' program. The site in East Galway in the video is part of the 7, 200 hectares that Bord na Móna claims to have restored. The scheme will cover an area of approximately 33,000 hectares of Bord Na Móna peatlands previously harvested for peat extraction for electricity generation and create 310 jobs.

The video of a bog near Clonfort in East Galway shows a landscape ‘more like Africa’s Sahel than Ireland’ and photographs drainage pipes ‘sticking up like chimneys’, eroding banks, and unconnected pipes. The video also highlights deep water easily accessible beside the road which local fear may lead to drownings in the summer. There are no warning signs and no safety equipment, according to the video.

While Bord na Mona’s remit for this project includes ‘more intensive management of water levels through drain-blocking and bunding’ and ‘re-profiling that will deliver suitable hydrological conditions for development of wetlands, fens and bog habitats’, ‘the video appears to paint a very different picture’, according to FIE.

In an introduction to the video released today on Facebook, FIE said it is expanding its monitoring with drone investigations of ‘what appears to be wide-spread engineering incompetence, sub-standard workmanship and dangers to the public’.

The 108m scheme is administered by the Department of the Environment, Climate and Communications (DECC) and regulated by the newly funded National Parks and Wildlife Service (NPWS). A notice on the Government’s website announcing the scheme said ‘It will involve many other diverse stakeholders including Bord na Móna, the EPA, relevant NGOs, local authorities, representative organisations and importantly, the local community.’

FIE is appealing to communities in the midlands to report similar failures in rehabilitation on their website Hotline.

ENDS

Contact: Tony Lowes, 353 (0)87 2176316 / 353 (0)27 74771

Video DO BETTER BORD NA MONA:
https://youtu.be/l7GxXlfLTSE

Government Announcement of Scheme
https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/136a7-bord-na-mona-bog-rehabilitation-scheme/

This Press release
https://www.friendsoftheirishenvironment.org/press-releases/18179-video-urges-bord-na-mona-to-do-better-on-bog-restoration

© 2001-2025 Independent Media Centre Ireland. Unless otherwise stated by the author, all content is free for non-commercial reuse, reprint, and rebroadcast, on the net and elsewhere. Opinions are those of the contributors and are not necessarily endorsed by Independent Media Centre Ireland. Disclaimer | Privacy