Mayo no events posted in last week
Interested in maladministration. Estd. 2005
RTEs Sarah McInerney ? Fianna Fail?supporter? Anthony
Joe Duffy is dishonest and untrustworthy Anthony
Robert Watt complaint: Time for decision by SIPO Anthony
RTE in breach of its own editorial principles Anthony
Waiting for SIPO Anthony Public Inquiry >>
Promoting Human Rights in IrelandHuman Rights in Ireland >>
Debunked: Another American Covid Vaccine Study Torn to Shreds Sat Aug 30, 2025 17:00 | Dr Raphael Lataster Another dubious Covid vaccine study bites the dust, says Dr Raphael Lataster, as he summarises his latest debunking piece as published in a peer-reviewed medical journal.
The post Debunked: Another American Covid Vaccine Study Torn to Shreds appeared first on The Daily Sceptic.
Parties in Cologne Elections Agree to Speak of Migrants Only in Positive Terms, as German Political ... Sat Aug 30, 2025 15:00 | Eugyppius Parties in the upcoming Cologne elections have agreed to speak of migrants only in positive terms, as German political dumbassery plumbs new depths by ceding the defining issue of the age to the AfD, says Eugyppius.
The post Parties in Cologne Elections Agree to Speak of Migrants Only in Positive Terms, as German Political Dumbassery Plumbs New Depths appeared first on The Daily Sceptic.
Angela Rayner Dodges ?40,000 Stamp Duty Sat Aug 30, 2025 13:00 | Will Jones Angela Rayner saved ?40,000 in stamp duty on her new seaside flat after telling tax authorities it was her main home, despite telling the local council in Manchester that her house there is her primary residence.
The post Angela Rayner Dodges ?40,000 Stamp Duty appeared first on The Daily Sceptic.
Do We Really Want a Digital Bill of Rights? Sat Aug 30, 2025 11:00 | Anonymous IT Reporter A Digital Bill of Rights may sound appealing. But think about it for a moment. More poorly thought-through rights will just mean more vexatious, activist Lefty lawyers, says the Daily Sceptic's IT reporter.
The post Do We Really Want a Digital Bill of Rights? appeared first on The Daily Sceptic.
The Court of Appeal?s Decision to Keep Epping?s Migrant Hotel Open Has Made Civil Disorder More Like... Sat Aug 30, 2025 09:00 | Dr David McGrogan The Court of Appeal's decision to keep Epping's migrant hotel open hinged in part on wanting to avoid violent protests. But in truth it's made civil disorder more likely, not less, says Dr David McGrogan.
The post The Court of Appeal’s Decision to Keep Epping’s Migrant Hotel Open Has Made Civil Disorder More Likely, Not Less appeared first on The Daily Sceptic. Lockdown Skeptics >>
Voltaire, international edition
Will intergovernmental institutions withstand the end of the "American Empire"?,... Sat Apr 05, 2025 07:15 | en
Voltaire, International Newsletter N?127 Sat Apr 05, 2025 06:38 | en
Disintegration of Western democracy begins in France Sat Apr 05, 2025 06:00 | en
Voltaire, International Newsletter N?126 Fri Mar 28, 2025 11:39 | en
The International Conference on Combating Anti-Semitism by Amichai Chikli and Na... Fri Mar 28, 2025 11:31 | en Voltaire Network >>
|
Shell to Sea protestors occupy and shut down Bellanaboy refinery site
News report from inside the fences
Work at the controversial Bellanaboy refinery site was halted on Friday the 16th February for the first time since October 3rd 2006 by a breakaway march of roughly 150 militant protestors.
 Crossing the bog The breakaway began as protestors, many of whom had traveled through the night and taken days off work to be there, left a larger Shell to Sea day of support demonstration at the main gates of the refinery. Protestors ran across bogs and passed barbed wire fences before marching for 20 minutes alongside Shell’s unlaid pipeline to reach the construction site where they surrounded Shell’s construction vehicles.
Gardai and workers were completely shocked to find that the group had managed to march straight into the center of the compound; workers were immediately called off site stopping work for the first time in almost 5 months. Protestors chanted “workers, workers, join with us”, which met with amused laughter from the workers who gathered less than 10 metres from the group, enjoying their break. In a deal with local campaign members the workers had been bussed onto site at 6.00am that morning to avoid the 7.30am demonstration.
The crowd of 150 protestors consisted principally of people from Dublin, Cork and Belfast with roughly 20 locals joining them. John Monaghan, a local resident, addressed the crowd several times urging them to remain peaceful and to stick together. Monaghan also acted as negotiator for the group when a group of 100 gardai blocked them from marching out the main gate.
Roughly 100 gardai, with 50 on standby in a bus, surrounded the protestors and allowed them to march peacefully off the site following a short stand-off. A crowd of 50 protestors gathered outside the gate to meet those coming off the site. Once outside, gardai began aggressively shoving the jubilant protestors off the road a move which many people described as a desperate attempt to re-assert their authority.
The days’ main protest enjoyed a crowd of roughly 500 people who marched from Glenamoy Bridge at 7.30am to the gates of the site. Local campaigners acted as stewards ensuring the march did not disrupt the flow of traffic or block the site, in keeping with a deal struck with Shell and the gardai. Protestors were prevented from banging on the gates of the site and some even complained of being pushed and shouted at by stewards who they claimed “were acting just like the gardai”.
Shell spokesman John Egan claimed that the “trespassers” had vandalized tools and threatened workers. He went on to say that the protestors had breached a promise that the day’s protests would be peaceful and non-confrontational. Julia Doherty, a protestor involved in the mass-trespass, refutes Mr. Egan’s claims stating that “Some people shouted ‘scab’ and ‘blackleg’ at the workers but there was no serious malice expressed towards them, as for his claim that tools were vandalized – surely he should be able to produce some evidence?”
Crowds dispersed for tea and soup at roughly noon with high spirits on the part of the protestors and much ire from gardai, who had previously enjoyed almost total control over the protests in Mayo. The campaign now faces important discussions on how to progress from their minor victory with divisions already coming to the fore as local TD Gerry Cowley condemned the occupation of the site in the national media. With a large national demonstration planned for February 24th in Dublin the Shell to Sea campaign is finally back on the offensive.
 Stopping the machines
 Workers
 More Workers
 Gardai
|
View Comments Titles Only
save preference
Comments (4 of 4)
Jump To Comment: 4 3 2 1I wasn't aware of any headcount but estimated over 100 people crossing the bog with a further group of protestors gaining access via another entrance and a large enough group of stragglers at the back, an estimate of roughly "150" isn't too far off the mark.
In the 2nd pic in the above comment a senior garda can be seen restraining another garda who had begun to drag out barriers to place between protestors and the exit to the site, other gardai stretched, hopped up and down and generally began warming up in anticipation of an order to use force to remove the protestors.
There were 100 people in that group, not 150 - the other report said that a head count while they all together and inside gave 95 people.