Upcoming Events

National | Politics / Elections

no events match your query!

New Events

National

no events posted in last week

Blog Feeds

Anti-Empire

Anti-Empire

offsite link 6 Months Later 25 Million Still on Unemp... Sun Sep 27, 2020 15:47 | Wolf Richter

offsite link An Open Letter to Jesus-Bill, the Savior... Sun Sep 27, 2020 14:06 | Marko Marjanović

offsite link The Generals Are Among the Last People W... Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:19 | Kelley Vlahos

offsite link Iran to Help Syria Rebuild Air Defenses ... Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:10 | Jason Ditz

offsite link Covering Up Your Face Is an Act of Spiri... Sun Sep 27, 2020 08:00 | Sean Walsh

Anti-Empire >>

The Saker
A bird's eye view of the vineyard

offsite link Moveable Feast Cafe 2020/09/27 ? Open Thread Sun Sep 27, 2020 03:00 | Herb Swanson
2020/09/27 02:00:01Welcome to the ‘Moveable Feast Cafe’. The ‘Moveable Feast’ is an open thread where readers can post wide ranging observations, articles, rants, off topic and have animate discussions of

offsite link The world has gone absolutely insane! Fri Sep 25, 2020 22:36 | The Saker
[this column was written for the Unz Review] We all know that we are living in crazy, and dangerous, times, yet I can?t help being awed at what the imperial

offsite link Why the Middle East ?peace agreements? will fail to achieve their purpose Fri Sep 25, 2020 17:43 | amarynth
By Aram Mirzaei for the Saker blog This week, a third Arab country has reportedly agreed to submit to Washington’s pressure to normalize relations with the Zionist state. This was

offsite link The Sheep of the Apocalypse Fri Sep 25, 2020 17:36 | amarynth
By Jimmie Moglia for the Saker Blog There is a history in all men?s lives, and in the history of their lives men often meet with mysteries, meaning events inexplicable

offsite link Iran Says Houthis Use Its Military Know-How In Battle Against Saudi Arabia Wed Sep 23, 2020 23:41 | amarynth
South Front Iran has supplied Ansar Allah (also known as the Houthis) with technical expertise and know-how, a spokesman for the Iranian Armed Forces Brigadier General Abolfazl Shekarchi said on

The Saker >>

Public Inquiry
Interested in maladministration. Estd. 2005

offsite link Sarah McInerney and political impartiality

offsite link Did RTE journalists collude against Sinn Fein? Anthony

offsite link Irish Examiner bias Anthony

offsite link RTE: Propaganda ambush of Sinn Fein Anthony

offsite link Hong Kong and democracy Anthony

Public Inquiry >>

Spirit of Contradiction

offsite link The Party and the Ballot Box Sun Jul 14, 2019 22:24 | Gavin Mendel-Gleason

offsite link On The Decline and Fall of The American Empire and Socialism Sat Jan 26, 2019 01:52 | S. Duncan

offsite link What is Dogmatism and Why Does It Matter? Wed Mar 21, 2018 08:10 | Sylvia Smith

offsite link The Case of Comrade Dallas Mon Mar 19, 2018 19:44 | Sylvia Smith

offsite link Review: Do Religions Evolve? Mon Aug 14, 2017 19:54 | Dara McHugh

Spirit of Contradiction >>

Is the real question: Why did Donegal vote No? Or...

category national | politics / elections | press release author Thursday October 15, 2009 22:30author by Fiachra Ó Luainauthor email fiachraforeurope at gmail dot comauthor phone 0863193567 Report this post to the editors

Reaction to Myles Dungan's programme

Fiachra Ó Luain has been seeking answers about how it was possible that 3,000 of his first preference votes could have allocated to Mr. Declan Ganley. On 0.000175% of Ganley's budget he received 6,510 first preferences in the June European Elections. As a resident of Donegal he offers his perspectives on the recent RTE radio show investigating why Donegal voted No.


Inishowen’s Independent candidate in last June’s European Fiachra Ó Luain welcomed Myles Dungan’s efforts to air the many reasons why people in Donegal voted No to Lisbon 2. Fiachra is glad that some of the negative stereotypes about Donegal were challenged by the audience and recommends Donnybrook journalists to be more aware of the internationalist legacy of Donegal sons like Peadar O Donaill, which would be another factor behind the triumph of the No vote in Donegal. However Ó Luain thinks that a more relevant subject of a national journalistic investigation would be to find out why the rest of the results in Ireland seems to indicate that the majority of people voted Yes this time.

Ó Luain wrote to Conor Kavanagh of RTE at the beginning of the week to offer contributions to the RTE programme that was aired from Donegal Town on Thursday. He did not receive a response, however Ó Luain concedes that seeing that Kavanagh is the same Today with Pat Kenny producer who said last Spring that he believed that there should be two tiers of candidates, while relegating the two least well-resourced European candidates to the audience, was probably not the right person to communicate with regarding perspectives on two-tier Ireland.

What Mr. Ó Luain wanted to draw attention the fact that prior to the second Lisbon referendum Donegal’s media had aired his concerns regarding the actual counting of votes, which he learned from his experience as a European candidate, cannot be taken for granted to be accurate.

Liam Porter from the Inishowen Independent, Eamonn McCann of the Hot Press and Derry Journal, Sue Doherty, Caroline Farrar and Paddy Toye of the Donegal Democrat had all written articles urging people to vigilant of the counting process having received a press release from Ó Luain. Following these articles and the 2400+ hits on his ‘Vote Misallocation in Ireland’ video that can be viewed at http://www.youtube.com/fiachraforeurope, the Carndonagh-based former Euro candidate received tip-offs that the postal vote system would be used to augment the Yes vote nationwide. He and Ms. Amanda Slevin personally monitored the returning of the postal votes for Donegal South West and North East which came to a total of 606 valid votes. It is believed that similar vigilance did not occur in other counties.

On the day of polling Ó Luain received a phone call from a member of the RTE staff who, when he told her the turn-out by midday in Carndonagh, said that it seemed on par if not above the national average turnout. However since then it has been claimed that the Donegal turnout was at least 5% below the national average. Ó Luain is now concerned that indeed the postal vote system was abused in other counties as it is one of the only rational explanations for the discrepancy between Donegal and the rest of Ireland.

“We entrust the integrity of the electoral system is beyond the reach of the same corrupt politicians and civil servants we stand shaking our fingers at over expenses? In Ireland it seems like a taboo subject, however from what I have seen and learned the electoral system abuse is seen as fair game by those who continue to rip us off in every other way. It would not surprise me to learn that the government and opposition parties may have turned a blind eye to the deliberate bending of the rules regarding Lisbon 2.” Ó Luain said this week.

Earlier this week Ó Luain wrote for a fifth time to Minister for the Environment, Heritage and Local Government Mr. John Gormley and to all members of the Dáil and Seanad requesting full co-operation with an investigation into voting irregularities. He has also written to President Václav Klaus and the staff of Prague Castle regarding the possibilities of postal vote manipulation in the recent referendum as well as the flagrant breaching of electoral protocol that is evident from the now famous ‘Irish Referendum Count at Cork City Hall’ video on YouTube that has had more than 20,000 hits in the past fortnight.

(Letters to Minister Gormley, President Klaus and the Sectretary General of the OSCE as well as Hot Press and Donegal newspaper articles available from fiachraforeurope@gmail.com or 086 3193567)

Related Link: http://www.youtube.com/fiachraforeurope
author by Colm Moloney - wethepeople.iepublication date Fri Oct 16, 2009 15:21author email colm_moloney at yahoo dot co dot ukauthor address author phone Report this post to the editors

The removal of the ballot box in cork and several other breachs of procedure were cited in four seperate High court actions last Monday 12th October, each challenging the legality of the yes campaign and the constitutionality of the referendum itself.Justice Sean Ryan overuled the arguments as 'political' and not 'legal' but they have been referred to the supreme court. Though there were over 40 supporters present this highly significant event representing the dissillusionment of a large section of the populace recieved little publicity.

author by -publication date Fri Oct 16, 2009 15:27author address author phone Report this post to the editors

will suspicions of rigging be allayed.

sin é.

author by pauyl o toolepublication date Fri Oct 16, 2009 19:05author address author phone Report this post to the editors

Post your events in the events column.
I only heard last night that there was a high court challenge.....

Get a few more heads down there...
The election was rigged anyway....

 
© 2001-2020 Independent Media Centre Ireland. Unless otherwise stated by the author, all content is free for non-commercial reuse, reprint, and rebroadcast, on the net and elsewhere. Opinions are those of the contributors and are not necessarily endorsed by Independent Media Centre Ireland. Disclaimer | Privacy